From 10 months old I progressively started making food with a lot more texture than previously. I still puréed meat very smooth but left vegetables quite lumpy (soft lumps though).
I also started to introduce a lot more finger food in to his diet. Little Big H had 6 teeth by this stage and was able to chew the food quite easily. (Depending on your babies chewing ability you may need to wait some time before introducing certain finger foods).
As mentioned on the previous pages. In Australia it is now recommended to give babies all food types from 4 months. This includes meat, fish, eggs, nuts and other foods considered highly allergic. Because of this Little Big H has tried most food at this point.
Some Finger Foods to try: (7 – 12 months)
- Zucchini – cut into sticks and lightly steamed (a great one to start with because it is so soft when steamed)
- Avocado – I use an avocado slicer which cuts the flesh into nice size slices. It makes it easy for Big H to hold
- Broccoli – break off little florets and steam
- Asparagus – lightly steamed
- Carrot – cut into sticks and steamed until they are very soft
- Tomato – steamed until tender and chopped in to pieces
- Very ripe rockmelon
- Peas – boiled and served whole
- Blueberries – I serve them whole
- Raspberries – I serve them whole
- Strawberries – I leave them whole and Big H sucks on them and bites pieces off
- Fish – steamed and little flakes broken off
- Cheese – I give Big H Babybel cheese. It’s quite soft, so I break pieces off for him to pickup