Forget boring and tasteless rice cereal as babies first food. Offer real food instead! Avocado and banana make wonderful first foods. (Try individually to check for any allergies, then mash together for a wonderful tasting puree)
Bananas’ high enzyme content (namely, amylase) means that they can digest themselves and thus, there’s less work for your baby’s digestive system to do. Ripe brown-spotted bananas are best – they taste the sweetest and are easiest to digest. Avocado is a great source of monounsaturated fats and contains the enzyme lipase, which pre-digests the avocado’s fat as it ripens – great for your babies developing digestive system. K Erlich, M.D, K Genzlinger. Super Nutrition for Babies. (Fair Winds Press, 2012), 61.
- 1 Organic Banana (ripe spotted is best)
- 1 Organic Avocado (not too hard, not to squishy is best)
- Add equal parts banana and avocado to a bowl and mash with a fork until the desired consistency is reached. Add cooled boiled water, milk or formula to thin mixture if required.
- The obtain a very smooth mixture - use a spoon to push mixture through a sieve.
- For older babies and children, spread mixture on toast or a sandwich