This is my go to super easy lunch/dinner for Little Big H if I haven’t had time to prepare anything.
He loves it and its ready in 15 minutes. It’s best served cold, so make it ahead of time if you can. If you don’t have a lots of fresh veggies on hand, it’s just as tasty with a stack of frozen peas and fresh chopped mint!
My little helper – wearing hoodie by Bonds
Use any veggies you like: I used, spinach, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, capsicum and mint
- 3/4 cup of quinoa and white rice; mixed - or just use quinoa if you prefer
- 1 zucchini; halved down the centre and chopped
- 1/2 capsicum, chopped
- 3 asparagus, chopped
- 2 big handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 bunch of mint, chopped
- 1 small head of broccoli
- juice of half a lemon
- olive oil
- pinch salt
- Cook Quinoa and rice on the stove top using the absorption method (see how to, in notes below). Alternatively cook rice your usual way and add veggies later
- Once rice has cooked or all the water has absorbed. Add the veggies on top of the rice. Allow to steam for 5 min or until tender. The heat should be very low so the rice doesn't catch on the bottom of the saucepan. Alternative steam veggies separately and mix together later
- Once cooked, allow to cool slightly, transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cool
- Once cool, add mint, lemon, a few good splashes of olive oil and salt
- Stir to combine; Serve
- Easily serves a family of 3
- Don't be concerned about quantities, add as many or as little veggies as you like.
- Absorption Method: to do this I add rice to the saucepan and add enough water so the level comes to or just below the first bend in my index finger - If your finger is poking straight down just touching the top of the rice. Place lid on saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn down heat as low as it will go and leave rice to cook for about 10 minutes