Frozen banana pops with a healthy cocoa-tahini coating that not only tastes great, but it is good for you. Sugar-free and a great snack option that the kids will love to help make.
You simply chop a banana into thirds and stick a paddle pop stick or skewer into the end and freeze for a few hours.
Once frozen; dip into the cocoa-tahini coating and it will set once it hits the cold banana. I allowed mine to set and then dunked it in a second time to get a good thick coating. You can simply eat like this or add a garish.
To garnish we used sesame seeds, pomegranate seeds, popped amaranth, toasted almonds and coconut. They were delicious and H had a great time making them.
You will most likely have some of the cocoa-tahini coating left over. Don’t throw it away!
Pour into chocolate moulds or a baking paper lined dish and freeze. Chop and eat straight from the freezer for a healthy chocolate snack. It’s so good and slightly adapted from this recipe here: Homemade golden rough
I think this recipe would be ideal for a birthday party. Set up a DIY bar for kids to garnish their own with whatever topping they choose. Such fun…
- 3 bananas - or however many you like
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened from the health food store)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- - toasted almonds
- - popped amaranth
- - sesame seeds
- - pomegranate seeds
- - coconut, etc
- Peal and chop the banana into thirds. Stick a skewer or paddle pop stick in the end and freeze for a few hours.
- To make the coating add the coconut oil to a saucepan and melt over low heat. Whisk in the remaining ingredients until combined. Allow to cook a little and add to a bowl.
- Dip the banana into the cocoa mixture and allow to drip off. It will set within a few seconds. I like to dip mine in a second time so the coating is nice and thick.
- Sprinkle on the garnishes if using. Eat straight away or freeze until ready to serve.
- I allowed my bananas to freeze for a few hours so they were not super hard. If frozen solid allow to defrost on the bench for 5 minutes if you prefer.
- You will most likely have a little of the coco-tahini coating left over. Pour into chocolate moulds or a baking paper lined dish and freeze. Chop and eat straight from the freezer for a healthy chocolate snack.