Pickled veggies may not appear to be the most toddler friendly of dishes but my little one certainly approved. The pickling liquid isn’t too heavy on the vinegar so give it a try, you can always add a little extra sugar if you think it is still too vinegary.
This is my favourite salad to serve with my teriyaki salmon recipe. It just works so well with fish and the sweetness of the teriyaki.
- 1 large carrot;
- 1 large cucumber
- 4 small radishes
- 3 tablespoon of pickled ginger; finely sliced
- handful of mint or coriander; finely chopped.
- 100 ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- sesame seeds to garnish
- Using a vegetable peeler (preferably one that cut into long matchsticks) slice the carrot and cut into matchstick size pieces. Do the same with the cucumber and discard the middle once you get to the seeds. Thinly slice the radish and also chop into matchsticks. Add all to a bowl along with the ginger and coriander.
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and simmer for a couple of minutes. Cool slightly and add to the veggies. Toss well and refrigerate. Give the veggies another couple of turns when you think of it. Serve cold garnished with sesame seeds.
- Pickled ginger is available from most supermarkets or you will find it at an asian supermarket