This is a great cake to get the kids involved. All ingredients go into the one bowl, mix, bake and you’re done. Simple but truly delicious.
I’ve added some fresh rhubarb, one of my favourite ingredients – It reminds me of my dad. He used to grow it in the backyard and would always cook some for me when I went home. We would have it with ice-cream or custard. In this recipe it gives it a bit of a tang.
Rhubarb Yoghurt Cake
- 3/4 cup natural yoghurt (or use you favourite fruit yoghurt and use only 3/4 cup sugar)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 2 handfuls of white chocolate chips
- 1 bunch rhubarb
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (excluding the rhubarb), stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined
- Grease your cake pan, either individual like I’ve used, or a single loaf tin
- Add half the batter to the tin and then add a few pieces of rhubarb. Add another layer of batter and then a single piece of rhubarb on top
- Bake for 25 minutes. (If using a single loaf tin, baking time can increase up to 45 min depending on the thickness of the mixture). Test by inserting a skewer into the centre. If it come out clean its ready
- Turn out onto a cake-cooling tray; best serve warm
These little cakes freeze really well. Simply let defrost on the bench before serving.
I would love to experiment a little and make this recipe with a sugar substitute. Any ideas?