Strawberries and orange blossom water is a match made in heaven. Add to that ice cream and you have a huge winner!
This is a simple ice cream recipe that is egg free, therefore doesn’t require you to make a custard. Simply whisk the ingredients by hand, then churn in an ice cream maker.
- 250g punnet of strawberries; hulled
- A sprinkling of caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 1/3 (80g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Place the strawberries in an oven proof dish and sprinkle lightly with caster sugar. Roast in a 180 degree C (350 degrees F) oven for about 30 minutes. They should start to break down and be oozing juice. Once cooked place in a bowl and mash with a fork (I like to leave it a little bit chunky). Allow to cool slightly and add the orange blossom water. Refrigerate until well chilled
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the milk and sugar for a few minutes to combine. Add the vanilla and cream and whisk to combine. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to your machines instructions. You want to remove it when it is a soft serve consistency so you can stir through the strawberry component. Add the ice-cream to a container and pour the chilled strawberry mixture over the top. Using a knife swirl it through the ice cream and refrigerate again until completely set
- Serve on its own or with fresh seasonal fruit
- This recipe doesn't make a huge amount of ice cream so double the recipe if you like. My ice cream maker isn't very large so I tend to make smaller quantities