Ribollita is a Tuscan soup made with lot of veggies, white beans and bread. It is super easy to make and doesn’t take too long. It is a great dish for the entire family. Puree/mash for baby and leave it chunky for bigger kids and the family.
Ribollita – meaning reboiled, is a great dish to have handy in the freezer for those weeknight when you haven’t got time to prepare something fresh. It stands up well to being re-heated, it may actually be better!
You start by sautéing the onion and garlic. Throw in the celery and carrot and cook until softened. Next add the silverbeet followed by the tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and chilli. Cover and let simmer for 45 minutes or so. You could dig right in after about 20 but cooking that bit longer really develops the flavours.
To serve ladle the Ribollita into bowls with the crusty bread and serve garnished with parsley – delicious and easy…
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic; crushed
- 1 onion; finely sliced
- 2 stalks celery; chopped
- 2 carrots; chopped
- 1 big bunch of silverbeet; finely sliced
- 400 g tin whole tomatoes
- 1 litre stock (good quality veggie stock, chicken, beef or whatever you like)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes *or adjust to your liking
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 400 g tin cannellini bean
- 1 loaf of country style white bread; cut into chunks
- parsley for serving
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the carrot and celery and continue cooking until softened. Add the silverbeet and cook until starting to wilt. Add the tomatoes, stock, bay leaf, chilli and salt. Bring to the boil and then cover and let simmer for about 45 minutes. Add the beans and allow to cook for an additional few minutes.
- Add the crusty bead to an oven tray and bake until golden and crispy
- To serve, ladle the soup bowls, add some bread and then another ladle of soup. Garnish with parsley and serve
If also preparing for baby, take a few portions for baby before adding the salt. Puree or mash to suit age and chewing abilities.
Add 2 tins of beans if you like