Salads and toddlers aren’t two words that generally go well together! But, we love salads, and they are one of H’s favourite things to eat. The trick is to add ingredients that they love, and then sneak in the rest.
This warm lentil, potato and corn salad has all of H’s favourite things. I have snuck in some kale, which I have blanched and chopped finely as I know he wouldn’t eat otherwise – you can leave it raw if you like. I also added some mint and a yoghurt dressing that has a hint of spice. I think it’s delicious and would makes a lovely side to your main meal or serve it as a healthy lunch as I did.
Warm lentil, potato & corn salad with yoghurt dressing
For the salad
- 3/4 cup green lentils
- 2 ears of corn
- 6 stalks kale; leaves only , discard stalks.
- 3 potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint
- Juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 3/4 cup natural yoghurt (or plain greek yoghurt)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 - 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- small pinch salt
For the salad
- Add the lentils to a saucepan with 2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until tender, add more water if necessary - they should still be firm though. Peel and chop the potatoes; add to a saucepan and cover with water. Cook until tender. Remove potato from the pot and set aside. Using a the same water if you wish, cook the kale and corn for a couple of minutes, remove and allow to cool slightly. Slice the corn kernels off the cob and set aside. Finely chop the kale.
- In a large bowl, combine the lentils, potato, corn, mint, a good few glugs of olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
For the dressing
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Serve the salad with the yoghurt dressing on the side
Add more or less cumin to suit your taste. I only use 1/2 teaspoon so it isn't too strong for the little guy. The kale can be left raw. I cook it and chop if finely so it easier for the little guy to chew.
This sounds amazing, and looks beautiful. I am adding green lentils to my shopping list so I can make this as soon as possible.
Thanks so much Tara, I’d love to know what you think. Thanks for stopping by. xx
Love this dressing for this salad. We eat lentils frequently, so I’ll be making this soon :)
Thanks so much Lydia. I love yoghurt dressings and this is a good one. xx
This looks so good! I love the combination of the lentils and the corn!
Thanks very much xx
Claudia | Gourmet Project
Mmmmmmmmh… Yummy Lentils! What a beautiful recipe. The pictures are amazing!
Thanks very much Claudia. I’m a huge lentil fan too. Thanks for commenting on my pictures. I’m very much still learning, so its always nice to hear feedback xx
Meredith @ The Weekday Gourmet
I have so much fresh summer corn I could use in this salad!
Perfect Meredith, I’m envious you have fresh sumer corn. I would so love to grow my own veggies! I hope you enjoy the salad, I think its delicious. xx
This looks so good, definitely going to give it a go
Thanks so much Paul, I’d love to know what you thought. xx
J @ A Hot Southern Mess
What a pretty late-summer salad! The dressing sounds fab and you can never go wrong with fresh corn on a salad can ya?
Thank you J. I totally agree, corn in salads is a winner in my book. Thanks for stopping by. xx
Elysia | Haute & Healthy Living
I love this healthy twist on potato salad! This is seriously something that I would make! Pinning this one for sure!
Thanks Elysia, yes quite a bit healthier than your traditional potato salad. I hope you like it, we think its really delicious. xx