Puffed amaranth is an ingredient that I stumbled upon at my local health food store recently and I love it. It is great to add to dishes like muesli bars and on your breakfast. I love to add it to yoghurt. It sort of melts into it and make it very fluffy.
I have bought it already popped or you can buy the grain and pop it yourself. It will be a staple in my cupboard from now on.
Coconut and Puffed Amaranth Muesli Squares
- 1/2 cup (50g) quinoa flakes
- 2 cups (60g) puffed amaranth
- 1/3 cup (50g) rice flour
- 1/2 desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1 1/2 cups dried apple (or any dried fruit you like)
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C (325 degrees F). Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with non-stick paper. Place the quinoa flakes, puffed amaranth, rice flour, coconut, sultanas, apple and pepitas in a large bowl and mix to combine. Whisk together the coconut oil, eggs and maple; add to the puffed amaranth mixture and stir until well combined
- Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and use the back of the spoon to smooth the surface. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cool in tin for 15 minutes, transfer to the fridge and chill until firm. Slice into squares and serve