I have been making these delicious bread rolls for years with a range of different fillings. This kale pesto filling is really delicious as the lemony flavour is balanced beautifully by the sweet bread. If you want a short cut, store-bought pesto would also work well.
I have rolled the pasty out quite thin, so I ended up with smaller sized rolls that are perfect for little hands. Go ahead and make them as large or as small as you like… xx
Kale Pesto Bread Rolls
For the bread
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 60 g (1/4 cup softened) buter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg; lightly beaten
- 4 cups flour (approximately)
- 4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 heaped teaspoons salt
For the kale pesto
- 3/4 of a large bunch - approx 4 big stalks
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese + a little more to sprinkle on top
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
For the bread
- Heat water, milk and butter in a saucepan over low heat until the butter is melted. Add to a mixing bowl and allow to cool to lukewarm. Add honey and 1 1/2 cups of flour and lightly whisk until smooth. Add the eggs and yeast and stir until smooth.
- Allow to sit uncovered for 15 minutes. Mix in salt and another 1 1/2 cups of flour. Knead the dough adding the extra cup of flour until it no longer sticks. (I used a kitchen aid and dough hook but it works just as well kneading by hand).
- Add dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to double in size - about an hour. Punch down the dough and roll out to an approx 12x 24 inch rectangle. Spread a good amount of the pesto over the bread, leaving a 1/2 inch around the edges. Fold over the long edge and roll and secure the seam with a little water.
- Using a sharp knife cut into about 20 portions. Add to baking paper, cover in plastic wrap or a tea towel to rise again for about an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Once risen, sprinkle with extra parmesan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool slightly and serve.
For the pesto
- Remove stalks from the kale. Blanch kale in boiling water until it is wilted. Refresh under cold water. Squeeze out excess liquid and add to a food processor with the remaining ingredients and pulse until the desired consistency is reached.
I like to blanch the kale but it is fine to use completely raw if you prefer.