Black sticky rice with caramelised coconut and mango is our favourite dessert, but I hear it is most often eaten at breakfast in Thailand.
I could definitely get on board with that!
On our recent visit to Thailand, H and I ate this everyday – sometimes twice a day! It’s the perfect balance of sweet and salty and it’s so easy to make at home.
I have tried to make healthier versions in the past using maple syrup and sugar-free sweeteners but it’s just not the same, so I have stuck to tradition and used palm sugar.
To make you simply cook your rice on the stove in water and coconut cream, once cooked add extra coconut cream and palm sugar and you are done! The salty coconut cream balances the sweetness of the rice and the caramelised coconut – so good.
Black sticky rice with caramelised coconut and mango
- 1 cup black sticky rice (black glutinous rice)
- 400 ml can coconut cream
- 180 grams palm sugar ,grated
- 1 cup shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- 1 mango ,sliced to serve
For the Black Sticky Rice
- Rinse the black rice well and add to a large saucepan with 2 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 a cup of coconut cream and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to the boil, cover, lower heat to a simmer for 45 minutes. Stirring often ensure it doesn't stick.
- Once tender, remove from the heat, add another 1/2 cup of coconut cream and half the palm sugar. Set aside.
For the Salty Coconut Cream
- Add the remaining can of coconut cream to a small saucepan with a 1/4 tsp salt and warm gently. Set aside.
For the Caramelised Coconut
- Add the remaining palm sugar to a saucepan with 3 tablespoons water and mix until the sugar has dissolved and bring to the boil. Add coconut and stir until coated and the liquid has mostly absorbed. Set aside.
- Add black sticky rice to small bowls and top with salty coconut cream, caramelised coconut and sliced mango
Oh how I wish I had a slice of this for breakfast today. This recipe looks super easy and full of ingredients my family loves. Looking forward to trying soon.
Thanks Mary, I hope they like it. Thanks for stopping by.
SO I am totally in love with sticky rice, but have never had black sticky rice before – this is so cool! Now I feel like I need to hunt it down. Great recipe!
Track it down Danielle, you won’t regret it…. hehe. I do love the white variety as well thought.
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
This looks and sounds absolutely delicious. The caramelised coconut and mango sounds so flavourful!
Yep, its that sweet and salty combo that just works so well.
Such a yummy comforting recipe! My whole family will love this!
I’d love to try this, such wonderful textures and flavours! I’ve never made black sticky rice but I’ve read about its health benefits.
Have you never tried it Nicole? Oh you are missing out, it’s so good and so easy to make. xx
Thank you Nicole, it is our new family favourite. I’m sure you family will love it.
Thanks for sharing that recipe. Made that tonight and loved it. The caramel used coconut and salted coconut are a nice addition to the basic recipe.
Thanks so much for the feedback mark. I’m happy to hear you loved it. You have reminded me that I need to make it again myself. xx