My healthyish ricotta pancakes are made using wholemeal spelt flour, eggs, milk, fresh ricotta and baking powder. That’s it! I have added no sugar because if you are going to smother them in maple – like I have, then it really isn’t required. But if you prefer, add your sweetener of choice to the mix.
Unlike some recipes that require you to whip you egg whites I haven’t done that either, but thanks to the fresh ricotta they are still light and fluffy.
You can also add berries, I threw a few blueberries in mine this morning but they are optional. Try adding strawberries, or even thinly sliced apple or pear.
Looking for more ricotta recipes?
What about my Tuscan kale and ricotta pie, or my pine nut and ricotta pastries, or for a sweet version these jam filled ones – they both use an easy to make ricotta pastry that you will love.
Healthyish Ricotta Pancakes
- 1/2 cup wholemeal spelt flour (or whatever flour you prefer)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125 grams fresh ricotta
- coconut oil for cooking
- maple and fresh berries to serve
- Add the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder to a bowl and whisk to combine. Gently fold through the ricotta (little chunks are good). Also add blueberries if using. Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Using a large spoon add pancake mixture to the pan in your desired size. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and cook for a further 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve pancakes with maple and fresh berries
If you make my healthyish ricotta pancakes, be sure to take a picture and upload to Instagram with the hashtag #littlebigh. I’d love to see your creation. xx
Oh yum, this is just the perfect way to start a day! Fantastic pancakes that are an absolute must to try – adding this recipe to my list!
These were delicious! I love the use of ricotta, never thought of using it before for pancakes!!
I’ve never tried adding ricotta to pancakes before. This sounds delicious!
These pancakes look so light and fluffy. I can’t wait to try them.
Such a perfect day starter!! My kids really loved it!
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AM TRY THIS IN LAST DINER ITS SUPPER COOL TO EAT
MY KIDS AND FAMILY REALLY LIKE IT ,,,
THANK YOU SO MUCH
Great to hear Jeena, I appreciate the feedback. xx