I grew up eating my mums salmon patties and they are a family favourite. They are so comforting and remind me of home.
They are so simple to make and are a great first finger food for little folks. I have made these mini sized so they are easy for H to pick up.
The mixture is cooked so when you put them in the pan you are really only after a nice golden colour. They are also really adaptable so get creative and add coriander, lime, spices or whatever takes your fancy. xx
Tips: when H was really little I used to cook the onion (like in the recipe instructions below) but my mum never used to do this. I also don’t bother anymore. Just chop it reasonably fine and it will be tender enough from cooking them in the pan alone.
Mum's Salmon Patties
- 210 g tin red salmon
- 2-3 medium sized potatoes (you want about equal quantities of salmon and potato - or adjust to your liking)
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1 tbls chopped parsley
- Salt (optional)
- Oil for frying
- Flour to coat patties
- Cook the onion - either steam or toss in the frying pan until tender
- Boil the potatoes in water until also tender; mash
- Combine the cooked onion, mashed potato, salmon, parsley and salt if using, in a bowl
- Form into little patties and toss in flour
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook patties until golden brown.
Try adding veggies like broccoli, grated carrot or sweet potato to the mix if you like.