I grew up eating my mums salmon patties and they are a family favourite. They are so comforting and remind me of home.
They are so simple to make and are a great first finger food for little folks. I have made these mini sized so they are easy for H to pick up.
The mixture is cooked so when you put them in the pan you are really only after a nice golden colour. They are also really adaptable so get creative and add coriander, lime, spices or whatever takes your fancy. xx
Tips: when H was really little I used to cook the onion (like in the recipe instructions below) but my mum never used to do this. I also don’t bother anymore. Just chop it reasonably fine and it will be tender enough from cooking them in the pan alone.
Mum's Salmon Patties
- 210 g tin red salmon
- 2-3 medium sized potatoes (you want about equal quantities of salmon and potato - or adjust to your liking)
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1 tbls chopped parsley
- Salt (optional)
- Oil for frying
- Flour to coat patties
- Cook the onion - either steam or toss in the frying pan until tender
- Boil the potatoes in water until also tender; mash
- Combine the cooked onion, mashed potato, salmon, parsley and salt if using, in a bowl
- Form into little patties and toss in flour
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook patties until golden brown.
Try adding veggies like broccoli, grated carrot or sweet potato to the mix if you like.
Think I will go make them right this minute ,your Mum`s salmon patties are the best .LOL xx
Yes, I’ve always loved mum’s salmon patties as well. Enjoy xxx
These were so yummy. And exactly like my mum used to make!
Hahahaha great to hear Lucy, I still love when my mum makes them for me :)