I promise it sounds more fancy than it truly is. I’ve kept it very simple and have experimented a little by replacing the sugar with maple syrup (a wholefood). For young babies you could leave out the sweetener all together and you have a simple baked custard.
You can also substitute the cows milk for almond milk or coconut milk or even stir through some melted chocolate before cooking – yum!
Creme de Pots
- 1 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1 vanilla bean , split lengthways and seeds scraped out (alternatively use vanilla bean paste)
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees C (320 degrees F)
- In a saucepan add the milk and vanilla bean (seeds and bean). Bring to the boil and turn off heat and allow to infuse for 15 minutes; discard bean
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and maple syrup. Now pour the hot milk slowly over the egg mixture while you continue to whisk
- Add mixture to 6 ramekins or small pots. Place pots in a baking dish and fill with hot water so it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins
- Bake for 35 minutes or until set. The centre should still wobble slightly
- Allow to cool slightly and refrigerate