This quick crispy potato with nigella seeds recipe happened when I was in a bit of a rush. I was going to boil some potatoes but noticed my nigella seed mix sitting there and decided to give my potatoes a quick toss in the pan, with some oil and a tablespoon of the spice mixture – they were delicious. Better than plain old boiled potatoes lets say!
The nigella seeds spice mixture will make more than you need for this recipe, so keep it in a jar and add some to your sautéed veggies, potato salads, tomatoes salads, cous cous, quinoa salads, etc.
Quick crispy potatoes with nigella seeds
- 1 kg chat potatoes (or as many or few as you like)
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt & pepper
- parsley leaves to serve; roughly chopped
- Wash the potatoes well because we are leaving the skin on. Chop in half and add to a pot of salted water and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the spices to a mortar and pestle and bash/grind until ground.
- Add 1 tablespoons oil to a frying pan over high heat and add the potatoes. Give the pan a toss so the potatoes are evenly browned. Once golden add a tablespoon of the spice mixture and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, serve warm garnished with parsley.
Serves 4 as a side
These look absolutely delicious!! 😀
Thanks so much Emma xx
Lisa | Garlic + Zest
Your potatoes look phenomenal, but I’ve never heard of nigella seeds before. What do they taste like?
Thanks Lisa, nigella seeds are often referred to as black cumin, they taste like a combination of onion and black pepper and are slightly bitter. I have seen people use them like black sesame seeds as well and use them to garnish eggs, etc. xx
mmm those potatoes look so yummy and the seasoning sounds great I’ll definitely be making a jar!
Fantastic Emily, you will love it. I added it to all my roasted veggies and they tasted amazing.
potatoes with all these aromatic spices, so tempting. I use nigella seeds a lot in my Indian cooking.
Thanks so much Jagruti xx
Andrea @ Cooking with Mamma C
I’ve never heard of nigella seeds! I’m intrigued. Your potatoes look so delicious.
Thanks Andrea, you will probably notice them all the time now. They are often used in Indian cooking but I’ve been seeing them used more and more in western cooking.
Sandra D. Briggs
Nigella seeds are very famous in India. I used it but never tried it with potatoes. The pics are awesome and potatoes are looking so delicious. Lets try it tonight. Thanks.
Thanks so much Sandra, they go lovely with potatoes. I’d love to know what you think. x