Gozleme is a tradition Turkish pastry filled with savoury ingredients. I have very much cheated by using store-bought flatbread instead of making my own pastry. It makes this cheats gozleme recipe super quick and convenient for lunch, a light dinner, or to pack into kids lunch boxes.
Gozleme has always been a favourite of mine. H and I would often wander down to the Kiribilli markets and grab some. There is always a queue – because it is delicious, and I always order the feta and spinach which is why I thought I’d give it a try myself.
Cheats Gozleme with Feta and Spinach
- 8 flatbreads (or as many as you like)
- 1 lemon
- 4 handfuls of spinach
- Handful each of parsley and mint; chopped
- 1 block of crumbly feta; crumbled
- 1 spring onion; finely sliced
- Salt and pepper
- To make the filling combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine. Place the 4 flatbreads on the bench and top with a handful of spinach, divide the filling mixure between the flatbreads and add a squeeze of lemon. Top with another flatbread.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan over low heat and add the flatbread. Give it a little shake to coat the bread in oil. Allow the spinach to wilt slightly. Have a little look under to see if it is golden brown. Flip and allow to cook until golden. The spinach should be soft and the feta shoud be melted.
- Slice and serve with a lemon wedge.
Use any type of flatbread you like. I happen to come across a really thin naan bread so I used that, but any will do.
My little helper made these almost entirely on his own. Its super simple, just take as many flatbreads as you like, top with spinach, then the feta mixture with a little squeeze of lemon, top with another flatbread and you are almost done.
Pop them in a lightly greased frying pan and cook on low heat to allow the spinach to wilt and the feta to melt a little. Slice and serve with lemon.
If you wanted a meatier option you could easily add some minced lamb to the mixture. Just be sure to cook it before adding it to the other filling ingredients.