And just like that H is at school and I’m preparing school lunch boxes.
I’m finding it quite fun at the moment – but it has only been a week. I’ll report back in a months time!
So with that in mind, I thought it would be nice to include a little sweet treat on occasion. So healthy banana bread it is.
Like most kids H is a pretty big fan of banana bread but most recipes are loaded with sugar and not at all healthy.
My recipe is light and fluffy and made using wholemeal spelt flour, and it’s refined sugar-free.
Healthy Banana Bread (refined sugar-free)
- 6 dates
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas ,about 4 medium super ripe spotty bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste ,or essence
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Spelt wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).Add dates to a small bowl and add boiling water to just covers the dates. Allow to soak for a few minutes and then mash with a folk to form a paste.
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine including the date paste.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don't over stir.
- Add to a lined loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes. Test with a skewer, if it comes out clean it is ready. Allow to cool on a wire rack and serve.
My little munchkin loved it :)
If you make my healthy banana bread, be sure to take a picture and upload to Instagram with the hashtag #littlebigh. I’d love to see your creation. xx