These carrot and walnut muffins are really delicious, and with 2 cups of carrot they are also good for you. I always like to have a batch of muffins in the freezer, they are super handy for lunch boxes or healthy snack on the run.
They aren’t overly sweet so if you like things a little sweeter increase the amount of honey or add a good handful of currants or raisins. Enjoy xx
Healthy Carrot and Walnut Muffin
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup of whole walnuts + extra to sprinkle on top
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1/4 cup honey (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 150 grams butter
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (350 degrees F). Chop the walnuts add to a large bowl with the flour and grated carrot; mix to combine.
- In a small bowl combine the egg and milk and light whisk with a folk. Add the mixture to dry ingredients along with the butter and honey and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Don't over mix or you will end up with a tough muffin!
- Spray a muffins tins with oil or grease with butter. Fill tin 3/4 full of the mixture and sprinkle with extra walnuts. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Test with a skewer, if it comes out clean, they are ready. Serve warm or cold
This muffin isn't at all sweet, increase to half a cup of honey if you wish or add 1/4 cup of raisins for added sweetness