This Spiced peach quinoa porridge is a lovely warm and comforting breakfast – perfect now that the weather is getting a little cool.
It has quite a savoury taste without the addition of fresh peaches on top and the maple syrup. If you like things a little sweeter, stir through some sweetener of your choice after cooking.
If you remember you can soak the quinoa the night before and it will take less time to cook in the morning. If peaches aren’t in season, apples would make a lovely substitute – but use whatever fruit you have on hand. I often make this when I have fruit in the fridge that is overripe and no longer good for eating.
If using very ripe fruit, I suggest adding the fruit in toward the end of cooking the quinoa, rather than at the start.
Here is a little video of H making this spiced peach quinoa porridge – press play to watch it here :)
Spiced Peach Quinoa Porridge
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups milk (animal or plant)
- 1/2 cup water + extra as needed
- 2 peaches; chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or essence
- 1 clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 peach; sliced
- flaked almond; toasted
- maple syrup or your sweetener of choice
- Rinse the quinoa and add to a saucepan with the milk, water, cinnamon, vanilla, clove and salt. Add the peaches* (see note).
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until tender, stirring occasionally. Add extra water if the mixture is too dry. Once cooked remove the clove and add to two bowls.
- Add a little extra milk the sliced peaches, flaked almonds and sweeten with maple.