This is my version of a recipe that I have made many time from the Vanilla Bean Blog. I have simplified the recipe significantly, but the idea is the same and they are equally as delicious. I use store-bought puff pastry to speed things up, rather than use the homemade honey spelt pastry in the original recipe (which is amazing, so if you have the time…)
I also used my raw broccoli and basil pesto (from my previous post) which is lovely, but I have also made it with a tarragon pesto. Basically use whatever you have in the fridge. Even store bought would work if you want to make it even easier.
Beetroot & goats cheese tarts
- 2 fresh medium-sized beetroot
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 2 1/2 tablespoon of pesto (see previous post for the recipe. Alternatively buy store bought pesto)
- 125 g goats cheese
- Honey or maple syrup to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees (375 degrees F). Remove leaves and stalks from beetroot and give them a scrub. Wrap individually in foil with a little water and bake for about 50 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool; peel and cut into thin slices.
- Using a round cutter cut circles from the puff pastry and place on a baking sheet lined with grease proof paper. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, then using the back of a spoon make a little indent in the pastry for the goats cheese filling. Combine the goats cheese and pesto; add a little more pesto until it is to your liking. Spoon a teaspoon of the filling on to the pastry shell and place a slice of beetroot on top. Bake for another 10 minutes or until the pastry shell is nice and golden. Remove from the oven and drizzle with honey and serve
Suitable for toddler 12 months plus because of the honey