I have a huge basil plant that was in need of a major prune, and this is the result. Homemade, deliciously raw, broccoli and basil pesto. Pesto it is a great way to get children who don’t like the look of vegetable to get a good serve. You can stir it through pasta, add a dollop to soups, spread over roast chicken, use as a dip for crackers or simply eat as is – like my little guy is doing the last picture! I also have a few other ideas so expect a few forthcoming post where I put it to good use…
Raw broccoli and basil pesto
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 medium sized broccoli , broken in to florets
- 1 cup of packed basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup of grated pecorino or parmesan cheese (I used a bit of both as I was finishing off what I had in the fridge)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (you could use pine nuts, hazelnuts or slivered almonds)
- juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste (about half a teaspoon is good)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until it reaches a pesto consistency. If it is a little dry add some additional olive oil while the machine is running or you could add a couple of tablespoons of water
Place into sterilised jars and keep in the fridge for about a week. Alternatively freeze in ice cube trays and take a couple of cubes out when needed
Thalia @ butter and brioche
Never have I tried a broccoli pesto before! What a delicious idea… I definitely need to make this.
Thank you Thalia. It really is very delicious. I’d love to know what you thought.