Who doesn’t love a sausage roll… my little guy certainly does so I was keen to make a healthier version. These veggie sausage rolls are made using chickpeas, carrots and feta and are super simple to make.
Simply add most ingredients to a food processor and then combine the remaining with your hands. Add the mixture to your ready rolled puffed pastry, form into logs and cut in to whatever size you like. I like to keep them small.
Serve with tomato sauce or chutney and enjoy as a snack, at lunch time or even dinner with a simple salad.
They also freeze really well, just pop them back in the oven to defrost and become crispy again.
Serve these veggie sausage rolls with chutney or tomato sauce. Store bought is fine or try my homemade fresh tomato sauce.
Veggie Sausage Rolls
- 3 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 onion
- 400 gram tin chickpeas drained
- 2 carrots roughly sliced
- small handful fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 eggs
- 3 slices wholemeal bread
- 100 grams feta (half a block)
- sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Remove pastry from freezer and allow to defrost on bench covered with a damp cloth
- Add onion to the food processor and pulse to chop. Add to a large bowl. Add chickpeas, carrot and parsley to the processor now and process until finely chopped. Add to the bowl along with the onion.
- Also add the dried herbs and 1 egg. In a separate bowl add the bread and pour some milk over and allow to absorb. Squeeze as much liquid out as possible and also add to the mixture.
- Using your hands, mix until well combined. Crumble the feta into the mixture and stir to combine. Small chunks of feta are good.
To assemble the veggie sausage rolls:
- Cut a puff pastry sheet in half. Add the chickpea mixture along the long edge (you can make them as big or as little as you like). Add a little water along the edge and roll the pastry over to seal.
- Cut into 5 rolls and add to a lined baking tray. Continue with the remaining mixture and pastry.
- Brush the rolls with the remaining egg (lightly beaten) and sprinkle with sesame seeds.Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with tomato sauce or chutney.
If you make my veggie sausage rolls, be sure to take a picture and upload to Instagram with the hashtag #littlebigh so I can check out your creation. xx