I’m a huge quinoa fan and given the chance I would eat it everyday!
I’m lucky that H also loves it, so I make it often. Sometimes served as a meal, like this roasted pumpkin quinoa salad could be, and other times I will just season it and have it as an accompaniment to another dish.
I have also forgotten about it on the stove and turned it to mush, so it becomes porridge for the following morning…
So back to the recipe: the pumpkin is roasted with red onion, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds and maple, its delicious and you could totally eat it like that as a side dish.
The quinoa is dressed with are lots of herbs and spices; mint, coriander, sumac, lemon and its all topped with pomegranates, pepitas and hazelnuts – whats not to love…
Roasted pumpkin quinoa salad
For the roasted pumpkin
- 1/4 medium kent pumpkin, or your pumpkin of choice (about 3 cups of chopped pumpkin)
- 1 red onion, cut in to small wedges
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
For the salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 big handful mint
- 1 big handful coriander
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, or to taste
- 1 tsp sumac
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp dry roasted pepitas
- 1 tbsp dry roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (425 degrees F). Cut pumpkin into chunks and place on a lined baking tray with the onion Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer and roast for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your pumpkin chunks. Once cooked remove and set aside.
- Wash the quinoa and add to a small saucepan with 3/4 cup of water. Cover and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn the heat to as low as possible and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Once cooked fluff with a fork and add to a large bowl. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Finely chop the mint and coriander add to the quinoa along with the olive oil, lemon juice, sumac and salt and pepper. Add the pumpkin and toss gently. Add to a serving plate.
- Garnish with pepitas, pomegranates and hazelnuts. Serve.
If you make my roasted pumpkin quinoa salad, be sure to take a picture and upload to Instagram with the hashtag #littlebigh so I can check out your creation. xx